Contact Us 1-800-849-0772 M-F 8-3 PST
Ye Olde Pepper Companie
When her neighbors learned that Mrs. Spencer knew how to make candy they all got together and purchased for her a barrel of sugar. Little did they know that this single act of kindness would produce the "Salem Gibralter," said to be the first candy made and sold commercially in America and carried around the world by sea captains and their crew.
She first sold her candies from wood firkins on the steps of the First Church, however, the candies became so popular that she purchased a horse and wagon to peddle her confections, thus our horse and wagon logo.
When Mrs. Spencer died her son carried on the business until about 1830, when he decided to return to England and the company was then sold to a John William Pepper, under whose leadership the company prospered for many years, adding items to its catalogue such as the Black Jack (an all natural stick candy made from black strap molasses).
During the late 1800's the first Burkinshaw went to work for the Pepper Company as a candy maker and eventually met his future wife there. Sometime around the turn of the century the Burkinshaw family purchased the Pepper Company and all their original recipes including the ones originated by Mrs. Spencer herself. Both Mrs. Spencer and John Pepper maintained the highest quality and standards for their confections.
In keeping with this tradition and the fine art of candy making handed down from generation to generation, the Burkinshaw family now in it's fourth generation seems destined to prosper as a family business for many years to come.