French Chew was first introduced in the late 1890's by Claus Doscher upon his arrival from Germany. Today, very little has changed with The French Chew. This company is still located in downtown Cincinnati - just blocks away from where it all started and The French Chew is still manufactured by the same process. Even the same shiny copper kettles that Claus Doscher first purchased back in the late 1890's are used to mix the French Chew. The wrapper with the happy boy licking his lips has remained the same. 24 - 1.62oz bars.